Passive resistance is performing nonviolent acts against laws or policies in demands of change. When passive resistance is used there are normally socio-political goals and acts such as protests, economic or political noncooperation, mass demonstrations, and boycotts. Passive resistance has been used efficiently throughout history, and has made major changes to America as we know it today.
Mahatma Gandhi used passive resistance to gain freedom from the British. He is said to have inspired the civil rights movement.
Martin Luther King Jr. used nonviolent acts to gain civil rights in America. He was the leader of the African American civil rights movement.
Alabama, 1963.
After being hit from behind and knocked down by a water hose, a woman is picked up and RESCUED by a fellow demonstrator.
After being hit from behind and knocked down by a water hose, a woman is picked up and RESCUED by a fellow demonstrator.
These people knew the people opposed to the civil rights movement were using voilence against them, and they still proceeded in their fight for freedom. This women was knocked over by a water hose. If it strips the bark off a tree that just goes to tell us how powerful it was, and must have hurt the people who were sprayed. When I first saw this picture I noticed this women was in heals and a man had picked her up. All the people fighting for civil rights must have had a great loyalty for one another because they were all fighting for the same thing. Almost seems like they were an unofficial non violent army.
Alabama, 1958.
From the pulpit of the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery, King addresses a rapt audience on the need for PEACEFUL protest.
From the pulpit of the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery, King addresses a rapt audience on the need for PEACEFUL protest.
I think this picture is cool because it shows how Martin Luther King talked with the protesters. Shows how he is up on a pulpit,and the people are respectful and all paying close attention to what he is saying. I'm sure this is just one snap shot of the many meetings like this they had.
I do believe there is discrimination in our community today. Unfortunately, like we talked about in class, it is part of human nature. I believe things like racism and gender discrimination has such deep roots from the past that it is not an easy thing to change. I think that many people will agree that discrimination is "wrong" but still act in ways that oppose their thinking. Even doing the outline to the major paper 2 I was looking at age discrimination in the work place and found myself agreeing that it might not be profitable to hire older people, or might be more cost efficient to hire someone young. I was like, shoot... I'm agreeing with age discriminating... Although I think there will never be a complete end to discrimination in the America there is always room for improvement.
3 ways to incorporate ethos and logos into my next essay on discrimination in the workplace. I can use ethos by stating a few of the many laws there are relating to work discrimination. logos can also be used to stay the consequences for discrimination in the work place, and how it would just loose the business or company money and time if they were prosecuted. Ethos- I could re-state historical events like the civil rights act and how almost all agree now that racial discrimination wasn't ok then, why would work discrimination be any different.


"I think this picture is cool because it shows how Martin Luther King talked with the protesters. Shows how he is up on a pulpit,and the people are respectful and all paying close attention to what he is saying. I'm sure this is just one snap shot of the many meetings like this they had." Yup -- how right you are. MLK walked a thousand miles filling many shoes -- that of a minister, leader, suffering disciple, father, husband, friend, teacher, prisoner, warrior, and in the end, a field commander in the name of LOVE. You have remarkable insight here, Kersten, with this post and the other ones as well. Thank you.
ReplyDelete