Thursday, October 20, 2011

Early experience in education

An early experience that has dramatically affected my education would by my second grade year of school.  I remember that our class always had the most homework out of all the 2nd graders and I was always behind.  Looking back, my teacher expected a lot out of us.  He said it was supposed to teach us responsibility and discipline, but I was discouraged.  I would cry every morning to my mom that I did not want to go to school, told her I wanted to quit (haha I was only 7) and that I was not smart enough to be in school.  After my second grade year the teacher I had went to another school to teach 5th graders; most likely a good move for him.   Second grade took quite some time to recover from and to start thinking school was fun again.  My third grade teacher was such a blessing and had a passion for kids and teaching.  She was an older lady who was the most sought after 3rd grade teacher.  I guess the school probably thought we all needed a recovery year, so they gave us the “good” teacher. 
I think that there will always be those teachers that are not the most fun, or are stuck in their old ways, but there is hope.  I eventually learned that my learning education will only be what I make it and can’t be determined on the teachers I get.  The teachers/professors can make a profound impact on my experience but it’s up to me to dwell on those experiences or move on.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness your 2nd grade teacher moved on to "higher ed." Whew! There are too many who make this same mistake. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete